This module builds on the skills introduced in the Primary Ball Handling and Dribbling Skills module through skill-specific basketball lead up games. Dribbling, passing, and shooting in dynamic practice environments are the primary skills emphasized. However, a variety of other learning outcomes are also addressed within the module’s activities.
- Complete Module Packet:
- Module Overview:
- Required Materials:
- All Module Activities:
- Sample Lesson Plan:
- Academic Language Cards:
- Station Cards:
- Dribble Triathlon:
- Hand Skills:
- Driver’s Test:
- Knuckle Collectors:
- Dribble Tag:
- Passing Triathlon:
- Shoot, Dribble, Pass, Dribble:
- 3 V 3 Bounce Ball:
- Station Day:
- Self-Assessment Worksheet:
- Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Dual Performance Rubric:
- Academic Language Quiz:
- Teacher Self-Evaluation and Reflection Guide:
- Blank Activity Plan Template:
- Blank Lesson Plan Template:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Basketball Skills
Standard 1. Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Outcome E16.3-5c.
- Catches a gently tossed hand-sized ball from a partner, demonstrating four of the five critical elements of a mature pattern (3);
- Catches a thrown ball above the head, at chest/waist level, and below the waist using a mature pattern in a non-dynamic environment (4);
- Catches with accuracy, both partners moving (5b);
- Catches with reasonable accuracy in dynamic, small-sided practice tasks (5c).
- Outcome E17.3-5.
- Dribbles and travels in general space at slow to moderate jogging speed with control of ball and body (3);
- Dribbles in self-space with both the preferred and the non-preferred hand using a mature pattern (4a);
- Dribbles in general space with control of ball and body while increasing and decreasing speed (4b);
- Combines hand dribbling with other skills during one-on-one practice tasks (5).
- Outcome E20.4-5.
- Dribbles with hand/feet in combination with other skills (e.g., passing, receiving, shooting) (4);
- Hand/foot-dribbles with mature patterns in a variety of small-sided game forms (5).
- Outcome E26.4-5.
- Combines traveling with the manipulative skills of dribbling, passing, and catching in teacher- and/or student-designed small-sided practice task environments (4);
- Combines manipulative skills and traveling for execution to a target (e.g., scoring) (5).
Standard 2. Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Outcome E5.3a-5a&c.
- Applies simple strategies/tactics in chasing activities (3a);
- Applies simple strategies in fleeing activities (3b);
- Applies simple offensive strategies/tactics in chasing and fleeing activities (4a);
- Applies simple defensive strategies/tactics in chasing and fleeing activities (4b);
- Applies basic offensive and defensive strategies/tactics in invasion small-sided practice tasks (5a);
- Recognizes the type of actions needed for different games/sports situations (5c).