This module includes activities that are designed to develop and reinforce several locomotor and manipulative skills. All of the basic locomotor skills, static and dynamic balancing, as well as underhand tossing, rolling, and catching are addressed. Other learning outcomes are also addressed within the module’s activities.
- Complete module packet:
- Module Overview:
- Required Materials:
- All Module Activities:
- Sample Lesson Plan:
- Academic Language Cards:
- Station Cards:
- Activity Card Set:
- Skill Cue Teach Sheets:
- Skill Cue Posters:
- Juggling Scarf Exploration 1:
- Juggling Scarf Exploration 2:
- Bean Bag Exploration 1:
- Bean Bag Exploration 2:
- Ball Skills 1:
- Ball Skills 2:
- Hula Hoop 1:
- Hula Hoop 2:
- Station Day:
- Self-Assessment Worksheet:
- Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Dual Performance Rubric:
- Literature Enhanced PE Posters: [Link to LEPEInc.com]
- Teacher Self-Evaluation and Reflection Guide:
- Blank Activity Plan Template:
- Blank Lesson Plan Template:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Locomotor and Manipulative Skills
Standard 1. Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Outcome E1.K-2. Performs locomotor skills (hopping, galloping, running, sliding, skipping) while maintaining balance (K); Hops, gallops, jogs, and slides using a mature pattern (1); Skips using a mature pattern (2).
- Outcome E2.2. Runs with a mature pattern (2a); Travels showing differentiation between jogging and sprinting (2b).
- Outcome E3.K-2. Performs jumping and landing actions with balance (K); Demonstrates two of the five critical elements for jumping & landing in a horizontal plane using two-foot take-offs and landings (1); Demonstrates four of the five critical elements for jumping & landing in a horizontal plane using a variety of one and two foot take-offs and landings (2).
- Outcome E4.K-2. Performs jumping and landing actions with balance (K); Demonstrates two of the five critical elements for jumping & landing in a vertical plane (1); Demonstrates four of the five critical elements for jumping & landing in a vertical plane (2).
- Outcome E7.K-2. Maintains momentary stillness on different bases of support (Ka); Forms wide, narrow, curled, and twisted body shapes (Kb); Maintains stillness on different bases of support with different body shapes (1); Balances on different bases of support, combining levels and shapes (2a); Balances in an inverted position with stillness and supportive base (2b).
- Outcome E8.K-2. Transfers weight from one body part to another in self-space in dance and gymnastics environments (1); Transfers weight from feet to different body parts/bases of support for balance and/or travel (2).
- Outcome E9.K-2. Rolls sideways in a narrow body shape (K); Rolls with either a narrow or curled body shape (1); Rolls in different directions with either a narrow or curled body shape. (2).
- Outcome E10.K-2. Contrasts the actions of curling and stretching (K); Demonstrates twisting, curling, bending, and stretching actions (1); Differentiates among twisting, curling, bending, and stretching actions (2).
- Outcome E13.K-2. Throws underhand with opposite foot forward (K); Throws underhand demonstrating two of the five critical elements of a mature pattern (1); Throws underhand using a mature pattern (2).
- Outcome E16.K-2. Drops a ball and catches it before it bounces twice (Ka); Catches a large ball tossed by a skilled thrower (Kb); Catches a soft object from a self-toss before it bounces (1a); Catches various sizes of balls self-tossed or tossed by a skilled thrower (1b); Catches a self-tossed or well-thrown large ball with hands, not trapping or cradling against the body (2).
- Outcome E17.K-2. Dribbles a ball with one hand, attempting the second contact (K); Dribbles continuously in self-space using the dominant hand (1); Dribbles in self-space with a preferred hand demonstrating a mature pattern (2a); Dribbles using the dominant hand while walking in general space (2b).