Created by: Larry Satchwell & Aaron Hart
Design: Jennifer Truong & Albert Luera
This module introduces students to the basics of volleying and striking through developmental play. Striking with the hand is followed by striking with a short-handled paddle, preparing students to progress toward paddle and racquet activities at the intermediate level.
- Complete Module Packet:
- Module Overview:
- Required Materials:
- All Module Activities:
- Sample Lesson Plan:
- Academic Language Cards:
- Station Cards:
- Keep It Up:
- Musical Balloon Bop:
- Bull’s Eye:
- Air Ball:
- Net Ball:
- Paddle It Up:
- Musical Paddle Bop:
- Net Ball (w/paddle):
- Station Day:
- Self-Assessment Worksheet:
- Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Dual Performance Rubric:
- Teacher Self-Evaluation and Reflection Guide:
- Blank Activity Plan Template:
- Blank Lesson Plan Template:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Foot Skills
Standard 1. Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Outcome E22.K-2. Volleys a lightweight object (balloon), sending it upward (K); Volleys an object with an open palm, sending it upward (1); Volleys an object upward with consecutive hits (2).
- Outcome E24.K-2. Strikes a lightweight object with a paddle/short-handled racket (K); Strikes a ball with a short-handled implement, sending it upward (1); Strikes an object upward with a short-handled implement, using consecutive hits (2).
Standard 2. Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Outcome E3.1b-2. Differentiates between strong and light force (1b); Varies time and force with gradual increases and decreases (2).