Created by: Victor Spadaro & Aaron Hart
Special Contributions: Deedi Brown
Design: Jennifer Truong
Are your K–2 students ready for some football?! Actually, no, they’re probably not. The Flag Tag Games module is designed to prepare children for Flag Football participation in a safe, fun, and developmentally appropriate setting. Locomotor skills and movement in open space are emphasized, and sport-specific skills of flag-pulling, running with the football, and hand-offs are introduced.
- Complete Module Packet:
- Module Overview:
- Required Materials:
- All Module Activities:
- Sample Lesson Plan:
- Academic Language Cards:
- Universal Design Adaptations:
- Slow-Motion Tag:
- 1v1 Tag:
- Scoreboard Tag:
- Football Freeze Tag:
- Island Tag:
- Handoff Helper Tag:
- Super Salad Bowl Tag:
- Offense/Defense Tag:
- Firework Tag:
- Student Self-Assessment:
- Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Dual Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Teacher Self-Evaluation/Reflection Guide:
- Blank Activity Plan Template:
- Blank Lesson Plan Template:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Flag Tag
Standard 1.Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 1 [E1.K-2] Performs locomotor skills (hopping, galloping, running, sliding, skipping) while maintaining balance (K); Hops, gallops, jogs, and slides using a mature pattern (1); Skips using a mature pattern (2).
Standard 2.Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 2 [E3.K-1a] Travels in general space with different speeds (K); Differentiates between fast and slow speeds (1a).
Standard 3.Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 3 [E1.K-2] Identifies active play opportunities outside physical education class (K); Discusses the benefits of being active and exercising/playing (1); Describes large-motor and/or manipulative physical activities for participation outside physical education class (e.g., before and after school, at home, at the park, with friends, with the family) (2).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 4 [E6.K-2] Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment with minimal reminders (K); Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment without teacher reminders (1); Works independently and safely in physical education (2a); Works safely with physical education equipment (2b).