Created by: Aaron Hart, Nick Kline, Kate Darpino, Victor Spadaro, Colin Arvanitakis, Angelica Fox
Nutrition Education: Andrea Hart, RDN
Special Contributions: Reg Hageman
OPEN’s Tools for Creating Active Classrooms is a new resource designed specifically for classroom teachers who understand the value of routine physical activity for their students. This growing collection of resources features active games and learning activities designed to build academic language vocabulary for healthful living and nutrition education. Check back every month for new resources!
Activities in this Active Classroom module were designed to work with this Indoor Activity Equipment Pack from US Games.
- Complete Module Packet:
- Activity Management:
- Required Materials:
- Universal Design Adaptations:
- Fitness UNO Chart:
- Nutrition Academic Language:
- MyPlate Dice Chart:
- 1-Minute Challenge Music:
- Dance with Words Activity Cards:
- Dance with Words Brainstorm Page:
MyPlate Nutrition Resources (USDA)
- Secret Code Sheet:
- Secret Code Answer Key:
- Crossword Puzzle:
- Crossword Answer Key:
- Word Search:
- Word Search Answer Key:
- Coloring Sheet:
Physical Activity Plans
- Warm or Cold:
- Bounce & Balance:
- Fitness UNO:
- Sort Yourselves:
- Dance with Words SEL: (NEW!)
Brain Boost Activity Charts
- No Equipment Boosts:
- Scarf Boosts:
- Dice Boosts:
Nutrition Education Activity Plans
- Nutrition T/F:
- Fresh Fruit Frenzy:
- MyPlate Dinner Dice:
- Pass MyPlate:
1-Minute Challenges (Infused with Social Emotional Learning)
- Fan Favorite:
- Bubble Window:
- Waddle Race:
- Card Collectors:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Active Classrooms
SHAPE America Standard 5. Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
- Standard 5 [E1.K-2]: Recognizes that physical activity is important for good health (K); Identifies physical activity as a component of good health (1); Recognizes the value of “good health balance” (2); Discusses the relationship between physical activity and good health (3); Examines the health benefits of participating in physical activity (4); Compares the health benefits of participating in selected physical activities (5).
Common Core Standards for Literacy in Technical Subjects.
- College & Career Readiness (Speaking & Listening): Participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- College & Career Readiness (Language): Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level.