National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Jump Rope Skills
Standard 1. Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Outcome [E4.3&5]. Jumps and lands in the vertical plane using a mature pattern (3); Combines jumping and landing patterns with locomotors and manipulative skills in dance, gymnastics and small-sided practice tasks/games environments (5).
- Outcome [E27.3-5]. Performs intermediate jump-rope skills (e.g., a variety of tricks, running in/out of long rope) for both long and short ropes (3); Creates a jump-rope routine with either a short or long rope (4); Creates a jump rope routine with a partner, using either a short or long rope (5).
Standard 2. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Outcome [E3.3-5c]. Combines movement concepts (direction, levels, force, time) with skills as directed by the teacher (3); Applies the movement concepts of speed, endurance and pacing for running (4a). Analyzes movement situations and applies movement concepts (e.g., force, direction, speed, pathways, extensions) in small-sided practice task/game environments, dance and gymnastics (5c).
Standard 3. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Outcome [E3.3-5]. Describes the concept of fitness and provides examples of physical activity to enhance fitness (3); Identifies the components of health-related fitness (4); Differentiates between skill-related and health-related fitness (5).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Outcome [E4.3-5]. Works cooperatively with others (3a); Praises others for their success in movement performance (3b); Praises the movement performance of others both more and less-skilled (4a); Accepts “players” of all skill levels into the physical activity (4b); Accepts, recognizes and actively involves others with both higher and lower skill abilities into physical activities and group projects (5).