National Standards and Outcomes Focus for the OPEN 8 Challenge
Standard 1.Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard1 [E1.3-5] Leaps using a mature pattern (3); Uses various locomotor skills in a variety of small-sided practice tasks, dance, and educational gymnastics experiences (4); Demonstrates mature patterns of locomotor skills in dynamic small-sided practice tasks, gymnastics, and dance.
- Standard 1 [E2.3 & 5]:Travels showing differentiation between sprinting and running (3); Uses appropriate pacing for a variety of running distances (5).
Standard 2.Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 2 [E3.3-5] Combines movement concepts (direction, levels, force, time) with skills as directed by the teacher (3); Applies the movement concepts of speed, endurance, and pacing for running (4a); Applies movement concepts to strategy in game situations (5a); Analyzes movement situations and applies movement concepts (e.g., force, direction, speed, pathways, extensions) in small-sided practice task/game environments, dance, and gymnastics (5c).
- Standard 2 [E5.3-5] Applies simple strategies/tactics in chasing activities (3a); Applies simple strategies in fleeing activities (3b); Applies simple offensive strategies/tactics in chasing and fleeing activities (4a); Applies simple defensive strategies/tactics in chasing and fleeing activities.
Standard 3.Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 3 [E2.3-5] Engages in the activities of physical education class without teacher prompting (3); Actively engages in the activities of physical education class, both teacher-directed and independent (4); Actively engages in all the activities of physical education (5).
- Standard 3 [E3.3-5] Describes the concept of fitness and provides examples of physical activity to enhance fitness (3); Identifies the components of health-related fitness (4); Differentiates between skill-related and health-related fitness (5).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 4 [E5.3-5] Recognizes the role of rules and etiquette in physical activity with peers (3); Exhibits etiquette and adherence to rules in a variety of physical activities (4); Critiques the etiquette involved in rules of various game activities (5).
- Standard 4 [E6.3-5] Works independently and safely in physical activity settings (3); Works safely with peers and equipment in physical activity settings (4); Applies safety principles with age-appropriate physical activities (5).
- Standard 5 [M6.6-8]: Demonstrates respect for self and others in activities and games by following the rules, encouraging others, and playing within the spirit of the game or activity (6); Demonstrates the importance of social interaction by helping and encouraging others, avoiding trash talk, and providing support to classmates (7); Demonstrates respect for self by asking for help and helping others in various physical activities (8).