National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Fitness Running
Standard 1.Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard1 [H1.L1-2]: Demonstrates competency and/or refines activity-specific movement skills in two or more lifetime activities (outdoor pursuits, individual-performance activities) (L1); Refines activity-specific movement skills in one or more lifetime activities (outdoor pursuits, individual-performance activities) (L2).
- Standard 1 [H3.L1-2]:Demonstrates competency in one or more specialized skills in health-related fitness activities (L1); Demonstrates competency in two or more specialized skills in health-related fitness activities (L2).
Standard 2.Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 2 [H1.L1-2]: Applies the terminology associated with exercise and participation in selected individual-performance activities, and/or outdoor pursuits appropriately (L1).
Standard 3.Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 3 [H3.L2]:Applies rates of perceived exertion and pacing (L2).
- Standard 3 [H5.L1]:Evaluates risks and safety factors that might affect physical activity preferences throughout the life cycle (L1).
- Standard 3 [H6.L1-2] Creates a plan, trains for, and participates in a community event with a focus on physical activity (e.g., 5K, triathlon, tournament, dance performance, cycling event) (L2).
- Standard 3 [H8.L1-2] Relates physiological responses to individual levels of fitness and nutritional balance (L1).
- Standard 3 [H10.L1-2]:Calculates target heart rate and applies HR information to personal fitness plan (L1); Adjusts pacing to keep heart rate in the target zone, using available technology (e.g., pedometer, heart rate monitor), to self-monitor aerobic intensity (L2).
- Standard 3 [H11.L2] Develops and maintains a fitness portfolio (e.g., assessment scores, goals for improvement, plan of activities for improvement, log of activities being done to reach goals, timeline for improvement) (L2).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 4 [H3.L1-2] Uses communication skills and strategies that promote team/group dynamics (L1); Assumes a leadership role (e.g., task or group leader, referee, coach) in a physical activity setting (L2).
Standard 5. Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
- Standard 5 [H1.L1]:Analyzes the health benefits of a self-selected physical activity (L1).
- Standard 5 [H2.L2] Chooses an appropriate level of challenge to experience success and desire to participate in a self-selected physical activity (L2).
- Standard 5 [H4.L1-2] Identifies the opportunity for social support in a self-selected physical activity (L1); Evaluates the opportunity for social interaction and social support in a self-selected physical activity (L2).