National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Pickleball
Standard 1.Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 1 [M12.6-8]: Performs a legal underhand serve with control for net/wall games such as badminton, volleyball, or pickleball (6); Executes consistently (at least 70% of the time) a legal underhand serve to a predetermined target for net/wall games such as badminton, volleyball, or pickleball (7); Executes consistently (at least 70% of the time) a legal underhand serve for distance and accuracy for net/wall games such as badminton, volleyball, or pickleball (8).
- Standard 1 [M14.6&7]: Demonstrates the mature form of the forehand and backhand strokes with a short-handled implement in net games such as paddle ball, pickleball, or short-handled racket tennis (6); Demonstrates the mature form of forehand and backhand strokes with a short or long-handled implement with power and accuracy in net games such as pickleball, tennis, badminton, or paddle ball (7).
- Standard 1 [M15.6-7]: Transfers weight with correct timing for the striking pattern (6); Transfers weight with correct timing using low to high striking pattern with a short-handled implement on the forehand side (7).
- Standard 1 [M16.6-8]: Forehand-volleys with a mature form and control using a short-handled implement (6); Forehand- and backhand-volleys with a mature form and control using a short-handled implement (7); Forehand- and backhand-volleys with a mature form and control using a short-handled implement during modified game play (8).
Standard 2.Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 2 [M8.6-8]: Reduces offensive options for opponents by returning to mid-court position (6); Selects offensive shot based on opponent’s location (hit where opponent is not) (7); Varies placement, force, and timing of return to prevent anticipation by opponent (8).
Standard 3.Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 3 [M7.6-8]: Identifies the components of skill-related fitness (6); Distinguishes between health- and skill-related fitness (7); Compares/contrasts health-related fitness components (8).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 4 [M1.6-8]: Exhibits personal responsibility by using appropriate etiquette, demonstrating respect for facilities, and exhibiting safe behaviors (6); Exhibits responsible social behaviors by cooperating with classmates, demonstrating inclusive behaviors, and supporting classmates (7); Accepts responsibility for improving one’s own levels of physical activity and fitness (8).
- Standard 4 [M3.6-8]: Demonstrates self-responsibility by implementing specific corrective feedback to improve performance (6); Provides corrective feedback to a peer, using teacher-generated guidelines, and incorporating appropriate tone, and other communication skills (7); Provides encouragement and feedback to peers without prompting from the teacher (8).
- Standard 4 [M4.6-8]: Accepts differences among classmates in physical development, maturation, and varying skill levels by providing encouragement and positive feedback (6); Demonstrates cooperation skills by establishing rules and guidelines for resolving conflicts (7); Responds appropriately to participants’ ethical and unethical behavior during physical activity by using rules and guidelines for resolving conflicts (8).
Standard 5. Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
- Standard 5 [M6.6-8]: Demonstrates respect for self and others in activities and games by following the rules, encouraging others, and playing within the spirit of the game or activity (6); Demonstrates the importance of social interaction by helping and encouraging others, avoiding trash talk, and providing support to classmates (7); Demonstrates respect for self by asking for help and helping others in various physical activities (8).