National Standards and Outcomes Focus for the OPEN 8 Challenge
Standard 1.Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 1 [M6.6-8]: Performs pivots, fakes, and jab steps designed to create open space during practice tasks (6); Executes at least one of the following designed to create open space during small-sided game play: pivots, fakes, jab steps (7); Executes at least two of the following to create open space during modified game play: pivots, fakes, jab steps, screens (8).
- Standard 1 [M18.6-8]: Executes consistently (70% of the time) a mature underhand pattern for target games such as bowling, bocce, or horseshoes (6-7); Performs consistently (70% of the time) a mature underhand pattern with accuracy and control for one target game such as bowling or bocce (8).
Standard 2.Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 2 [M1.6-8]: Creates open space by using locomotor movements in combination with movement (e.g., varying pathways; change of speed, direction, or pace) (6); Reduces open space by using locomotor movements (e.g., walking, running, jumping & landing, changing size and shape of the body) in combination with movement concepts (e.g., reducing the angle in the space, reducing distance between player and goal) (7); Opens and closes space during small-sided game play by combining locomotor movements with movement concepts (8).
- Standard 2 [M9.6-8]: Selects appropriate shot/club based on location of the object in relation to the target (6); Varies the speed and/or trajectory of the shot based on location of the object in relation to the target (7); Varies the speed, force, and trajectory of the shot based on location of the objectin relation to the target (8).
Standard 3.Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 3 [M5.6-7]: Participates in a variety of lifetime recreational team sports, outdoor pursuits, or dance activities (6); Participates in a variety of lifetime dual and individual sports, martial arts, or aquatic activities (7).
- Standard 4 [M1.6-7]: Exhibits personal responsibility by using appropriate etiquette, demonstrating respect for facilities, and exhibiting safe behaviors (6); Exhibits responsible social behaviors by cooperating with classmates, demonstrating inclusive behaviors, and supporting classmates (7).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 4 [M4.6-8]: Accepts differencesamong classmates in physical development, maturation, and varying skill levels by providing encouragement and positive feedback (6); Demonstrates cooperation skills by establishing rules and guidelines for resolving conflicts (7); Responds appropriately to participants’ ethical and unethical behavior during physical activity by using rules and guidelines for resolving conflicts (8).
- Standard 4 [M5.6-8]: Cooperates with a small group of classmates during adventure activities, game play, or team-building activities (6); Problem-solves with a small group of classmates during adventure activities, small-group initiatives, or game play (7); Cooperates with multiple classmates on problem-solving initiatives including adventure activities, large-group initiatives,and game play (8).
Standard 5. Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
- Standard 5 [M4.6-8] Describes how moving competently in a physical activity setting creates enjoyment (6); Identifies why self-selected physical activities create enjoyment (7); Discusses how enjoyment could be increased in self-selected physical activities (8).
- Standard 5 [M5.6-9] Identifies how self-expression and physical activity are related (6); Explains the relationship between self-expression and lifelong enjoyment through physical activity (7); Identifies and participates in an enjoyable activity that prompts individual self-expression (8).
- Standard 5 [M6.6-8]: Demonstrates respect for self and others in activities and games by following the rules, encouraging others, and playing within the spirit of the game or activity (6); Demonstrates the importance of social interaction by helping and encouraging others, avoiding trash talk, and providing support to classmates (7); Demonstrates respect for self by asking for help and helping others in various physical activities (8).