Created by: Lisa Kushner, Amanda Welch, Nick Kline, and Aaron Hart
Special Contributions: Deedi Brown
Design: Jennifer Truong
Parachute activities are among the most memorable physical education experiences of a young child’s life. Just seeing the ‘chute creates excitement and joy for most students. It is also an important opportunity to reinforce critical personal responsibility skills, as well as introduce movement concepts and early muscular anatomy.
- Complete Module Packet:
- Module Overview:
- Required Materials:
- All Module Activities:
- Sample Lesson Plan:
- Academic Language Cards:
- Universal Design Adaptations:
- Parachute Activity Cards:
- Parachute Rules Poster:
- Elementary Anatomy Chart:
Link to Equipment Pack
- The Basics:
- Ball Fun:
- Under the ‘Chute:
- Parachute Games:
- Parachute Fitness:
- Student Self-Assessment Worksheet:
- Holistic Performance Rubric:
- Holistic Dual-Performance Rubric:
- Teacher Self-Evaluation and Reflection Guide:
- Blank Activity Plan Template:
- Blank Lesson Plan Template:
National Standards and Outcomes Focus for Parachute
Standard 1. Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- E1.K-2. Performs locomotor skills (hopping, galloping, running, sliding, skipping) while maintaining balance (K); Hops, gallops, jogs, and slides using a mature pattern (1); Skips using a mature pattern (2).
Standard 2. Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- E3.K-2. Travels in general space with different speeds (K); Differentiates between fast and slow speeds (1a); Differentiates between strong and light force (1b); Varies time and force with gradual increases and decreases (2).
Standard 4. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- K4.K-1 & 2b. Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment with minimal reminders (K); Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment without teacher reminders (1); Works safely with physical education equipment (2b).